Chipped Red Paint

About Me

My photo
I am a young female journalist in the middle of the map. I began to blog as an outlet to the injustices I see everyday- be they major, comedic or simply an overload of what is in my own head. I don't think I can change the world with my blog, but changing my own is a damn good start (cue MJ "Man in the Mirror"...humor folks.)

Friday, April 23, 2010

Words and Wisdom




My love of spoken word and written works brings up a common question that I can never find the answer to .
Which is more powerful: The man with the pen who writes the words that move others hearts or the man who can transform those words into something tangible, be it music, spoken word or what have you.

They both have their strengths.

Words turned into sounds is the biggest benefit to the  stubborn or unwilling reader. People who claim not to have time to read the words can have it flow into their minds another way. This is usually more opportunistic since the written work can be remade into a melody or a theatre act or a television show to reach a broader audience. Basically, sound an visual gets points for broader appeal.

However, when something is written out, as the reader you have the opportunity to experience the situation however you feel. It can be something as little as pronouncing a name different or placing yourself in the story. Each reader becomes their own author.

There will probably never be a solid answer. What i the point of art if no one can hear it? But what are they hearing if no one is creating the art?

-Peace

2 comments:

  1. Well put, Asia! I agree that they both have their strengths. There's something about the spoken word that ensnares one quicker than the written one. It's an experience, one that (when the poet or singer is good at what they do) engages the listener directly and allows them to feel the emotions and frustrations of the poet.

    By the same token, as you said, written work allows "each reader to become their own author." When you read it, you can relate to it without being confined in the sense that a spoken word artist's work is strictly "theirs" - they are the storyteller and hence the bearer of the knowledge.

    The written work allows a reader to say, "I do that too! This is so me!" and it fits because they have their own personal experience they apply to the written work. Personally, I prefer to write because that's just where I excel and where I feel people most identify with my work. Maybe one day, though, I'll read. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Bradford
    Glad the writer could comment!
    Being a journalist, I find that writing is my best mode of expression but I can respect the spoken word. I also like to indulge in it once in a while but I'd rather be in audience member in that arena.
    I'm sure you'll read one day, what is better than hearing the author share his work of art? :)

    ReplyDelete